View Profile EscapistProductions

All 18 Audio Reviews

11 w/ Responses

This is some pretty interesting music, even though it doesn't sound energetic enough to be much of a "battle theme" to me. The Undertale sound effects were a fun touch (psst, by the way, because of those you need to mark that your track has 3rd party samples in it). My favorite part is around 01:15 - it has similar vibes and even similar instruments to Terraria's nighttime music. It sounds like the synth doing the Megalovania-esque thing comes in a couple beats early at around 1:44, which means it doesn't always line up with the other stuff. But otherwise, really nice work, and I hope you return to this idea later!

Shady Cicada has a few videos on making video game battle/boss theme music, maybe those might be helpful?

ok thank you!!

It actually sounds pretty good, but not necessarily for the purpose you intended it for. I'd consider this more ambient background music for a minimalist game, rather than something I could dance to. I think it's because there is very rarely any kind of percussion or any other strong indicator of where the beats are, and when it is there, it's pretty quiet. If it is supposed to be truly ambient, as the tag suggests, maybe it'd be good to name the title something else or explain the intended context in the description? And if it is meant to be dance music, I actually found a couple tutorials for how to write dance music on YouTube - I'm not sending any links because I figure it'd be better to just let you find the one that works best for you. Hope this helps!

ty!!

Hey, you're actually starting to get somewhere here! I can tell that you've got a recurring melody in the piece, as well as an amount of structure! I'm thinking what's needed here is more of an intention with how you use the structure, like what's going to be the arrival point where you go all-in, that the audience will remember afterward. There's also a little bit of musical rambling in the melody and subsequent piano line around 2 minutes in - I recommend you do research on how phrases, cadences, and harmonization work in music, that would help you provide the melody with some structure. Musictheory.net is always a good resource for learning music concepts and how to implement them in your songs. But yeah, it's definitely improving! And the first part of that melody actually kinda sounds like Undertale music :)

TY!!

A nice peaceful song! It'd probably go well as background music for a cutscene, but if I were to judge it as music to listen to by itself, I would say that it needs to have more of a memorable high point somewhere, or a memorable melody or riff - that's generally what keeps people coming back to a song, or at least that's what will keep me coming back. Again, since this is meant to be a theme song for a character, it would be very useful to have something unique that audience members will remember and mentally connect to that character. For instance, if I were to play Megalovania out of the blue, you would instantly think of Sans. I can gather resources for you if you want to bolster your melody-writing skills - I know where to find them. :)

Thank you!

I haven't heard the original, but once again, really nice use of the 16 bit instruments to fill out the background!

It is completely valid to make music that is as technically accurate or inaccurate as you wish!

I love what you did with the different instruments here! It definitely sounds like it'd come from a different game franchise than the Mega-Man version you made earlier - I'm not sure which one at this point, but it is really cool!

themaskedmonocle responds:

oh yes, i used sounds from Battle Mania and Thunderforce, mixed with sonic. Thanks for the review!

I wanna play as Vixen!

I really like this little tune! It's got a memorable melody and I love the upbeat accompaniment as well!

themaskedmonocle responds:

i made it really short and sweet like in King of Fighters 2000 (justifies making it short!) It was literally a looping second lol but it worked.

I think @Codefreq gave decent advice on this. I do think that you're definitely going in the right direction with how to achieve the horror vibe, and I love the changes in the feel of the song. I would say something about the bass, but currently I'm wearing sucky headphones that don't reproduce bass well, so I probably shouldn't, haha! Very cool!

Hey, I'm here from your comment on ZeTrystan's comic, and I decided to check out your stuff. This is really cool, on par with some of the best electronic music I've heard. It's fast but chill - I have the mental image of a spaceship hurtling through space while the crew inside it is just chilling out. Nice work!

I see that the goose on the image for this song is a Canadian one. Very accurate considering that this is a battle theme. I love the structure of the song and the way it changes and introduces new themes over time!

What I actually do in real life is compose music and drool over theme parks, but on here you'll mostly find art and reviews. Feel free to reach out to me at any time for feedback! ¡Hablo Español también!

Joined on 8/11/18